Sunday, October 9, 2011

Math Warm-Up: Guess Who

My 8th graders love this game for a warm-up! It basically works like the game Guess Who, or 20 Questions.

I print copies of the above image and put them in sheet protectors with a dry erase marker for each student. Students take turn asking yes/no questions to try to figure out which number I chose while marking out numbers that it can't be. The first student who correctly guesses my number wins a prize.

This is great for teaching number sense and vocabulary for my tutoring groups. Some example questions the students could ask are:
- Is it even/odd?
- Is it prime/composite?
- Is it a multiple of ...?
- Is it a factor of...?
- Is it less/greater than...?

I am going to make a decimal and fraction version of this as well, and maybe even try the periodic table.
~Mrs. Scott

4 comments:

  1. I love this!! Thanks for sharing.

    Elaina @ www.theclassyteacher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gave you a shout out on my post :)

    Check it out

    ❤ Mor ❤
    A Teacher's Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am using this tomorrow.
    Yep. Tomorrow. It is printing while I type.
    I have 6 sixth graders who cannot skip count or order numbers. Maybe this will help them think math can be fun!

    Thanks for the idea!

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade


    PS Check out Jack of All Trades (http://jackofalltrades-leslie.blogspot.com/).
    She has some great math games too!

    ReplyDelete